Serving Opportunities during COVID-19
Looking for ways to serve our local community during COVID-19? Resurrection people are accustomed to serving our neighbors and Being Christ in the Community. Today however, the challenge is finding ways to serve safely. Below are current opportunities to serve.
- New! Second Helpings, a long-time partner of Resurrection and RLC’s Friday Community Meals, is looking for volunteers and pasta donations. Details
- Add your name to the RLC Serving Opportunities Signup to be notified immediately by email when an opportunity becomes available.
Serving in person under CDC guidelines
- New! Lutheran Child & Family Services (LCFS) – Visit the Volunteer Portal on the LCFS website to view current opportunities. Volunteers are needed all year for The Sharing Place, the LCFS food essentials pantry. Register now to serve at the Christmas Store which allows referred clients to shop for Christmas gifts for their children at no charge. The store runs Sunday-Thursday, Dec. 6-10, and is hosted by Gethsemane Lutheran Church.
- Interchurch Food Pantry of Johnson County (211 Commerce Dr, Franklin, IN) – Volunteers are needed immediately at this Johnson County food pantry managed by RLC member Carol Phipps. The pantry is experiencing a significant volunteer shortage because many people have been called back to their jobs outside the home. Yet the need for food has not changed. Children 10-15 years old are welcome to serve, one child per parent/adult. Teens 16 years and up can serve without a parent/adult present. Available shifts are Monday through Friday, 11 a.m. to 3 p.m. Masks are required and available if you do not have your own. To volunteer, contact the pantry directly at email@example.com.
Serving from a distance
- Refuge Place Indy: This volunteer-run organization provides services to unsheltered homeless people living on the streets and in camps around Indianapolis. Donations are used for a daily group meal, hygiene and personal care items, hotel expenses for women and families, bus passes, etc. To support Refuge Place, go to cash.me/sevenpillars or paypal.me/sevenpillarsrefuge. Contact Julie Jessee, firstname.lastname@example.org if you would like to prepare food and/or serve a meal.
- Indiana Youth Group: Help stock the shelves in the IYG food pantry with items from their Amazon wishlist.
Contact Julie Jessee, email@example.com with questions or suggestions for additional ways to serve.